Friday 22 July 2011

Who Do You Think You Are... Gwyneth Paltrow?

For the record, I am not Jewish.. and I am certainly not anti semitic. A disclaimer may be necessary - I don't want to attract the haters (just the appreciators).
My close friends can vouch that my appreciation for Jewish culture is a very serious matter. I think an over exposure to Woody Allen in my youth and my deep kinship with another great Jew - Nigella Lawson. Her forays into the religious side of Judaisim are, I hear, limited. However she has been known to conjure up a steaming pot of 'Jewish Penicillin' (Chicken Soup).
So understandably when I heard that our dear beloved Gwynnie was reneging on her original plan to raise Apple and Moses in a secular, spiritualist home and instead focus on her Jewish heritage - I was pretty excited (almost as much as I was watching Charlotte convert for Harry in Sex and the City).
As a non-Jew, flagrant adoption of Jewish cuisine could be deemed cultural appropriation or some such thing. I don't think there's much difference between my enjoyment of borscht and bagels to another person claiming a fondness for Thai cuisine for example.
Anyway, this is about Gwyneth Paltrow - not me. In honour of her recent decision.. I'm going to attempt to make some traditional chicken soup and matzo balls.. using the Nigella recipe. Best of both Jews.
Keep posted for pics and taste testimonies from whoever is lucky enough to try it.

Oh and p.s. I think lolz need to be had that Gwynnie only decided to raise her kids Jewish because her ancestors are 'influential rabbis'.. apparently her late Jewish father wasn't important enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment